Once an emblem of British rebellious youth in the 1950s, the design of the men’s dovetail is attributed to American hairstylist Joe Cirello. Although he devised a looks completely ad hoc for the musical style of the time, it was later that he made his way in Hollywood thanks to icons like Elvis Presley and toured some parts of the world.
Actually, this has always been rare, but for many it was (and still is) synonymous with style and glamor ––with a whimsical touch.
What is a duck tail cut?
As its name suggests, this style simulates a duck tail at the back of the head. The hairdresser should cut sharp strands into different lengths, creating a spiky backwards shape. The key is to let the front part grow more to take it towards the rear area, leaving the center shorter.
The ducktail cut also leaves open the possibility of experimenting with different styles in the front part, although, in the 50s, an elephant trunk was used (elephant trunkin English).
Editor’s tip: Keep in mind that this is a high-maintenance style, both to shape it and to style it. If you’re going to try it, you might spend a few long minutes in front of the mirror every morning and require constant appointments with your hairdresser.
How to style a duck tail?
During the same time, in the middle of the last century, the greasers They formed as a subculture in the southern United States. Undoubtedly, the duck tail cut contributed to the term, since, to achieve its looks characteristically, men needed to apply considerable layers of ointment or styling wax. In addition, this technique was carried out with a closed bristle comb, which they kept in the pockets of their pants to touch up during the day.
If you want to imitate them, try the gel wax Ax Urbanwhich is ideal for getting a looks disheveled.
Now that if you prefer a natural finish, the Ax Ice Chill wax it will be your favourite.
Do you prefer gel instead of wax? you will not fail with him gel eGo Black for men: resists everything!
Get the perfect dovetail style by following these simple steps:
- Once you have your wax or gel, apply a hefty layer over all of your hair.
- Distribute the product evenly with the help of a closed bristle comb.
- Divide your hair into three sections, leaving two equal sections on the sides and a thinner one in the center.
- Comb back the hair on the sides so that it meets at the center of the nape.
- Take the comb again and slide it from the forehead to the bottom of the head to create a defined part.
- Now, if you want to create the angled effect with relief, back and without a parting in the center, take each of the sides towards the nape of the neck with the comb and make it touch the palm of your hand on the opposite side. Thus, you will give it more volume.
Now that you know the styling process, explore our gallery above for inspiration with different options.
The post Dovetail cut for men, the emblem of the rebels and synonymous with style appeared first on All Things Hair Mexico.