For fans of chameleonic and on-trend tones, platinum highlights on short hair will become their next fascination.
If the most natural versions manage to soften features and sweeten the face, platinum is another type of blonde. Although it belongs to the same chromatic range, it has a different appearance, it could be said that it plays in another league. The benefits of this tone for our face? It brings freshness, personality and distinction.
Regarding the ideal cut to wear platinum blonde, there is no rule, but stylists agree that a short hair —at garcon or, maximum, a medium length of hair— allows you to keep bleached hair healthy. Some highlights are also a way to wear this tone without treating the hair completely. Browse the gallery to see how to wear them.
What color is used to make platinum highlights?
According to colorimetry, dye number 10 corresponds to a platinum blonde. However, consider that it is one of the most complex technical jobs in terms of product preparation, application, and exposure time, so you don’t want to do it yourself.
If you’ve dyed before—even if it was years ago—and your hair is past your chin, it’s best to cut off any colored ends and start from scratch before going platinum blonde. On the other hand, if you’ve never dyed your hair before, you’ll get the best results if your hair is no darker than a light brown.
What skin does platinum highlights look like?
Platinum is a shade of cool blonde, so it favors people who have this characteristic in their coloration. If your skin has a pink or blue undertone and your veins are blue, your temperature is probably cold.
An easy way to see where your undertone is leaning is to stand in a place with natural light, without makeup, and try on silver (cool) or gold (warm) jewelry. We can also do the test with a white (cold) garment compared to a beige (warm) one and see which favors us.
How to make platinum highlights at home?
The recommendation is always that you leave your hair in the hands of a professional colorist. Now, if you prefer, you can try make your highlights at home. Here we explain how!
- Comb through with a detangling cream or oil, such as Sedal Anti-Knot Moisturizing Combing Creamformulated with raspberry roots and fusion of oils.
- Brush your hair perfectly and part where you usually mark it.
- Prepare the mixture and apply it to the desired strands, you can do it with the help of a highlight brush. Depending on the effect you want to obtain, decide how far you want to bleach.
- Apply the dye or developer and let it sit for 35-40 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of water and check that you have obtained the desired tone.
How to make platinum highlights at home with a hat
- Comb with a cream or oil to detangle your hair.
- Add some powder to the cap with the holes and place it on your head.
- With the help of a pointed comb, begin to pull strands of hair through the hat. Take into account that the thickness of the strands will determine the size of your streaks.
- Once you have removed all the wicks, you should comb your hair again.
- Apply the stain or developer from back to front and front to back; all the hair has to be in the middle of the hat. Let it act for a period of 35 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of water without removing the cap, check that you have obtained the desired shade and carefully remove the cap.
- Wash your hair as you normally do.
How to take care of platinum highlights in short hair?
Choose the ideal washing system
When bleaching and dyeing your hair it is important that you use special products for colored hair. He shampoo and TRESemmé Pro-Radiance Color Conditioner They are formulated with marula oil and resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant to hydrate, care for color and restore shine to color-treated hair.
visit your colorist
At least once a month, you should maintain your platinum wicks to prevent them from becoming dull and losing intensity. If attending the salon is not an option, you can tint them from home with the help of a purple shampoo.
Keep your hair hydrated
It is also advisable to add an extra dose of hydration to your care routine. We recommend doing it with Dove Complete Reconstruction Daily Super Moisturizer that provides immediate repair and helps damage due to external factors and dryness not come back!
With what dye to tint the platinum highlights?
To get platinum highlights, you must use a platinum blonde dye, mixed with 10 volume oxidant in a 1:1 ratio, that is, the same amount of dye as oxidant. Let it act between two and five minutes.
These types of dyes are commonly known as silver toning dyes or silver gray hair dye, although their correct name is super lightening dye.
Editor’s tip: Check frequently how the color is changing once the dye is applied, to obtain the result you want. If for some reason you left it on for too long, you can easily fix it by applying a darker dye and leaving it on for only 10 minutes.
Would you wear platinum highlights on short hair? Share your opinion on Instagram (@allthingshairmex), where you will find a community of devotees to hair beauty, just like you!
The post 35 ways to wear platinum highlights on short hair that you will surely love appeared first on All Things Hair Mexico.