The Highlights on very short hair are, without a doubt, one of the best ways to illuminate it and give it a new air if it looks dull and lifeless. Of course, the result depends on the technique implemented, but regardless of whether you decide on a balayage or choose some babylightsit is certain that your hair will be left with greater texture and dimension.
Also, a very short length opens up the possibilities to experiment with different shades and colors. And it is that, if the result is not what you expected, it is very easy to return to the beauty salon, reshape it with a cut and try a new coloration. For the most daring personalities —and also for those looking for a classic style—, here we leave a series of options to request the next time you are in the hands of your colorist.
What colors of highlights are in fashion?
Let’s look beyond hair trends. After the lockdown, hair color took on a new importance. Although we all lived through years of confinement and uncertainty, the freedom we have today brought with it the desire to redefine ourselves and experiment with our identity. Perhaps for this reason, intense and saturated hair tones have positioned themselves as the most relevant. Whether they are fantasy dyes or conventional tones, they carry a certain optimism that we all seek today.
Golden highlights on very short hair
Give your short hair a very natural shine with babylights golden. Although they are very thin and create a sunlit effect, their warmth will make your cut look more dimension and volume. In addition, they are low maintenance. When your hair grows out, these highlights will blend in subtly, like a gradient.
Editor’s tip: When you wash your hair with highlights, use the TRESemmé Pro-Radiance Color Shampooenriched with marula oil and resveratrol to hydrate, care for color and restore shine to colored hair.
Platinum highlights on very short hair
The best of platinum highlights on black hair, or any other dark foundation, is that they complement any skin type. Think about it: both on brunettes and those with fair complexions, blonde contrasts flatteringly, creating a lok cool and polished.
Another possibility is to try cold tones, such as silver gray hair. Although it seems like a complete coloration, this style is achieved by bleaching the hair and using highlights in two shades (one light and one darker) to achieve that play of light and shadow.
Blonde highlights on short dark hair
Ask your colorist to make some streaks in your dark hair, that are light and subtle, in two shades lighter than your foundation. For example, if you’re brown, you’ll want to try a dark blonde dye. This coloring technique is one of our favorites for curly hair, as it defines the natural shape of the hair and visually weighs it down. They also add a very youthful touch.
Beige highlights on very short dark brown hair
Now, whether your hair is straight or Chinese, we advise you to make thick and very marked wicks, which show the base color as a frame or shadow. In order to stand out, take into account that the beige highlights they contrast best on brown or black hair.
colored highlights on short hair
In this case, it’s just a matter of choosing your favorite color and daring to experiment. It does not matter if it is pink, green, purple or blue, it is possible to achieve any shade you can imagine on your hair.
Or, you can team up with your colorist to broaden your creative horizons and create a one-of-a-kind pastel design.
Editor’s tip: Our advice is not to think about it too much. If you see a hair color that you like, do not limit yourself and run to the beauty salon. You will not regret!
What kind of highlights are in fashion in the hair?
Now that you have an extensive list in terms of highlights colors, now you just need to choose among the most used techniques. While there are several basic and timeless options, such as babylights, These are the three most popular ones that will make you get out of your comfort zone:
Before moving on to the most extreme colorations, we want to remind you that the balayage It is always an option to take the boring out of any haircut. You decide the tone, but always have them on the radar. Subtly, the transition from a dark to a light color will transform your hair.
dip dye wicks
If you spend time on social media, we’re sure you know what a dip dye. Although the dye is applied only to the ends, it is an ideal technique for those who have never dyed their hair.
Although, of course, if you have already tried different colors and are now looking for a change, we advise you to try the roots in the same tone as the ends, on a platinum base. Why not?
While classic highlights are created vertically and dynamically around the hair, in this technique the color divides the hair down the middle, into two areas of different shades. You can do it with your favorite colors.
How to do highlights on very short hair?
Although we always recommend putting your hair in the hands of a professional, here is the easiest way to highlight your own hair from home:
- One day before coloring your hair, condition it with moisturizing products. Our favorite in this case is the Dove Complete Reconstruction Daily Super Moisturizerdeveloped for the care of damaged hair and prone to breakage.
- Identify if you will have to bleach your hair at home And on how many levels? If you are not an expert in this technique, we advise you to go to the beauty salon with a professional. since the products contain chemicals that can damage your skin, your hair and make the result unflattering.
- If your hair is light (or you already bleached it), apply a nature mask to reinforce hydration and then wash hair with cold water.
- Do a dye allergy test on your doll’s skin. If after 24 hours you have not presented symptoms such as irritation and redness, you are safe.
- Once your hair is dry, do a test now with the dye. Take a lock of hair and, the next day, make sure you like the color.
- Now yes: let’s get to work! But of course, do not forget to wear clothes that can get stained.
- Cut rectangles of aluminum 10 x 15 centimeters.
- Protect your skin with Vaseline around the hairline, even if you are going to do highlights that do not touch the root.
- Divide your hair into four or six parts, depending on the density, and hold with clips.
- Prepare your dye according to the instructions on your dye package, and have a comb and hair brush handy.
- Take a section, starting at the nape of the neck, and place it on an aluminum sheet.
- Take the brush and pass the dye. Apply a generous amount, until hair feels wet.
- Fold the sheet and repeat steps 11 and 12 with each strand, ending in the forehead area.
- Wait as long as your dye package indicates, and then rinse with lukewarm water.
Editor’s tip: Wash your hair up to 48 hours after dyeing it, so that the dye sets. If you are going to style it, avoid heat tools and instead use products with natural ingredients such as Sedal Coffee and Castor Oil combing creamfree of silicones, parabens and dyes.
The post 14 daring ideas to spice up very short hair with highlights appeared first on All Things Hair Mexico.