Halloween has become the favorite party of my kids. For a long time, I resisted celebrating something that was so alien to me. But it is useless to resist.
If you are looking for a costume, here I leave you 3 that we have done at home: a witch costume, a Minnie costume and a little red riding hood costume. These last two could convert them to their zombie version to make them really scary.
EASY DIY WITCH COSTUME
To make a witch costume last minute we will collect clothes and shoes in black or dark colors. And we will make a hat and a broom to complete the costume. The materials are easy to get and very cheap.
- Black or dark dress, or a dark turtleneck and a dark skirt. This black dress is a dress that I made recycling a blouse that I bought in a second-hand market a while ago.
- Black or dark leggings or leggings. The striped ones give a touch that I like very much. These stockings are adult Chinese, they are a little big but he didn’t care.
- Black shoes, better if they are boots. These are his boots this winter.
- DIY witch hat
- DIY witch broom
- Eva rubber
- Glue gun
Step by Step:
1. Cut a circle 38 cm in diameter
2. Inside that circle make a hole 20 cm in diameter.
3. Make eyelash cuts across the circumference of the smallest diameter.
4. On the other rubber plate, Eva draws what the cone will be. A triangle of 34 cm side and semicircular base
5. Roll up the cone and glue it with the glue gun.
6. Put the cone in the circle of the hat’s wing and stick the eyelashes
7. Cover the eyelashes with tape
- 2m x 0.8m craft paper roll
- Scotch tape
Step by Step:
1. Unwind the paper and roll it again leaving it very tight so that it has consistency, it will be the broomstick.
2. Do not roll it up completely, leave 75cm free. Cut those 75 cms.
3. Tape the end of the rolled paper with adhesive tape and reserve the finished stick
4. Cut the 75 cm into 3 pieces of 25 x 80 cm. Place one on top of the other
5. Cut the fringes of the broom as seen in the photo, about 2cm wide and 20 cm long
6. Roll and glue these strips of fringes around the broomstick.
Minnie Mouse costume
This year I listened to the wishes of the child and created the costume she wanted for Carnivals. He loves Minnie, with his ears and his flying skirt with polka dots. Of course the costume is a DIY and recycling.
- Red garment, shirt, skirt, dress, shirt … where you can take out fabric for the costume.
- Basic Sewing Kit
- Black headband
- Black Goma eva
- White paint for fabric
Step by step apron:
I bought a high neck and long sleeve t-shirt for € 0.50. It’s from Decathlon, from the ski series, size 14. It’s a pretty thick cotton. Sewing this costume has been a small challenge because I never sew an elastic stitch or jersey stitch. I bought a ballpoint needle and I have sewn everything with a zig-zag stitch. I think from now on I will sew more elastic knitwear.1. Cut out the pieces of the apron on the red garment. From the armholes down will be the bottom of the apron. From the sleeves come the strips to tie the apron from behind and to the neck. From the part below the neck will leave the upper part of the apron.
1. Cut out the pieces of the apron on the red garment. From the armholes down will be the bottom of the apron. From the sleeves come the strips to tie the apron from behind and to the neck. From the part below the neck will leave the upper part of the apron.
2. Open one of the side seams at the bottom. The bottom of the shirt will be the bottom of the apron and we will not have to top it. The arrangement of the pieces would be this:
3. Frown this piece over the top piece. To gather I have placed small clamps fastened with pins.
4. Prepare the strips of the ties. To simplify and since it is a costume I have folded in half as seen in the photo and I have passed a zig-zag stitch.
5. Join the strips of the ties to the rest of the apron. This step is the only one I have done with a straight stitch.
6. Paint white polka dots. I used the plastic wall paint I had at home and applied it with a cork stopper as a mold. It was not perfect and I had to fill each circle with a brush. Plastic wall paint is not the best option but it was the one I had on hand. And once dry it will hold the washings.
Step by step headband Minnie:
1. Cut out the silhouette of the ears on the black rubber. I have used a hair mask canister as a template. Cut out four equal circles. For each ear we will use two circles.
2. Glue the ears to the side of the headband with the glue gun. Glue the other two circles over those ears and cut out the remaining rubber remaining from the bottom.
3. Make a loop with remnants of the red garment. I have used the neck. I have sewn it upside down and pursed it in the center by tying it with a piece of cloth.
4. Paint the polka dots to the bow the same way we did with the apron. And glue the loop over the ears of the headband so that it is slightly tilted.
Red Riding Hood Costume
Story characters are preferred by children to dress up. Little Red Riding Hood is one of the little girl’s favorite stories and this year I have prepared a carnival costume for her. His collection of handmade costumes is increasing.
- Red fabric for the cape and flower fabric for the skirt, these are from Ribes and Casals
- Basic Sewing Kit
- A basket, you can weave one with rope like the one in this post.
RED CAPERUCITA LAYER
Step by Step:
1. Measure the distance from the neck to the elbow and the circumference of the neck. I have sewn a cape for a 5-year-old girl and the measurements are 50 cm long and 5 cm radius neck.
2. Draw two concentric circles with those two measures. To do this fold a square in half and again in half. Measure 50 cm from the vertex to the ends creating an arc of points.
3. Cut the circle with the folded fabric and fastened by pins. Also cut the circle of the neck. When you open it you get a circle with a hole in the center. Open it by one of the radios. 4. For hood, cut a rectangle of 38 x 34 cm. 5. Fold the hood rectangle in half and secure with pins. From the rectangle take the piece of the hood of these measures.
6. The part that joins the neck of the layer is cut with inclination. Mark a point 5cm above the base.
7. Attach the hood to the neck of the coat
8. Sew the hems
9. Finally, create two strips of fabric 80 cm long and 8 cm wide. Fold and sew creating two “ribbons.” Sew the tapes to the ends of the coat collar.
RED CAPERUCITA COSTUME SKIRT
I have sewn a pichi dress following the method I told you in this post to create a pattern from a shirt. In this case there are no sleeves nor the second steering wheel. It is a yoke and a rectangle at the bottom gathered.
Must Read: Best Halloween Makeup Ideas